Saturday, November 17, 2018

Phonemic Awareness Lesson

This was probably the simplest lesson I completed this semester. It was extremely beneficial and important though.
This was the set-up of my lesson. I used elkonin boxes and play-doh. I am aware that print is not a component of phonemic awareness, but my cooperating teacher asked that I incorporate them in some way because she wanted the children to get familiar with putting the letters with the sounds. As we sounded out our words, we would touch the play-doh that corresponded with the sound. The children loved getting to use the play-doh and I saw that it helped them to determine the beginning, middle, and ending sounds of words. This is often a difficult task for a kindergartener and somehow the play-doh and the elkonin boxes made it easier to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment